Jealous. That is what I am. I wish I was in Austin for SXSW this week. Not even so much for the music – just the people watching and shopping are worth the plane fare. Since I can’t be there, I thought I would share with you a few locally owned, must-stop shops that you will love.
1. Stag is my favorite men’s store…they just get it. Located on South Congress at Elizabeth Street, the store is a casual gentlemen’s salon – stylish books and music compete against vintage accessories and my favorite American made shades from Randolph Engineering.
The clothing purchases I make for the Husband rapidly become joint property. Oh, and the staff is amazing…knowledgeable and lovely to chat with while deciding on your purchases over a beer.
2. Feathers Vintage Boutique, right off S. Congress on Milton Street, carries a well-edited selection of relevant vintage fashion. The boutique carries new clothing from coveted lines allowing for an easy high/low/new/old mix, which is always chic. Feathers has their pulse on the best trends and can update any outfit with amazing, one-of-a-kind finds!
3. Sigh…I always find something I didn’t know I needed here! Mercury Design Studio is exactly that…the buyer for this store does not bind herself by product category – just by good design. You will find everything from furniture to stationery to vintage marble ashtrays (which, FYI, you can not carry on the plane according to TSA – lesson learned). Mercury is located downtown at 209 W. 2nd Street.
4. Next up? Teddies for Betties is a lovely store that strives to make shopping for underpinnings fun! Ashley runs the show here – she is friendly, quick-witted (follow her on twitter), and loves to have fun with her betties in her bou’ – as she lovingly refers to her great shop and clients. T4B is located at 221 W. 2nd Street.
5. Hit up Eliza Page for some amazing accessories. Another great locally owned store that carries amazing gems at all price points and style profiles. From the festival girl to the country club party chair, she has you covered. Her website is really amazing – just in case you can’t swing by before the big shows start!
6. Now that you have wrapped up your shopping, head back over South Congress to the San Jose Hotel courtyard – Absolutely my favorite place to relax and unwind with your favorite Texas cocktail.
p.s. thanks to my girl, P, for introducing me to all these great shops. Can’t wait to head to Austin soon and shop it out!